I’ve had this problem for roughly two months now. The problem description is as follows: Open up any PDF with Internet Explorer 8 within a new tab. The first thing I noticed was that I would receive this pop up box which would ask me to choose certain settings on how to read this PDF file. There was a box on the bottom which indicated that if you check here, you won’t have to see this again – so I did. The second part to this problem is that when I close the tab that houses the PDF file, IE crashes. It indicates that there was a problem with acroread.dll. I have searched long and hard but could not find a proper solution.
I tried your basic troubleshooting. Uninstall program, reinstall. Try updating to the newest version if possible, no dice.
I tried searching around on Google and even posted to the Adobe support forums but have not heard a peep from anyone. This normally indicates to me that either the problem is in its infancy stages and nobody is really doing what I am doing therefore, no one else is experiencing this and or that it’s just my setup that has this problem. The thing is, I have two computers both running Win 7 64-bit and they experience the same thing. The only thing in common between the two is their operating system.
I have tried another forum and hope to hear back from someone. Post in the comments if you are experiencing this problem and or if you have a fix. Thanks.