Windows Vista DHCP service disabled attempt to enable with error Access Denied 5

So I’m working on this Vista computer and it cannot get online.  I go into a command prompt and type /ipconfig.  I see it’s pulling up and automatic IP address, the 169.x.x.x variant and realize hmm, something’s up.  Immediately I go to services.msc to check and see if DHCP is enabled.  It’s not.  I go to start it, bam, error message indicating a problem has occurred and that access is being denied.  NOOOOOOOOO.  I searched long and hard for a remedy but came up short.  I found a few pages from Microsoft that indicates it is a problem with permissions in the registry.  I tried their fix, no luck.

I gave up on my work and just wiped it out and reinstalled Windows.  I’m hoping to start this post and get feedback from anyone who has gotten stuck on this and found an actual solution.  I know there are others out there who are probably going to come across this and if we can all put our heads together to find a solution, that’s the best part of it all.

It seems to possibly be related to removing spyware and viruses but don’t quote me on that.  It could also very well be related to registry permissions.  If that’s the case, we have to figure out which registry key or keys are being affected.

Here’s to finding a solution!

Comments are closed.